Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Omniscient Seeker


The black night clouds the light from the lamp post.  The front porch creaks and groans with each end every step as I inch and inch nearer and nearer towards the house.  The door is conveniently unlocked allowing for a surprise entrance.   The door leads into the living room which is filled with their crap.  Strewn about are their trinkets and gadgets looking seldom used or completely abused.  The family is not easily amused by simple tools or complex rules for these simple tools, which now do not seem so simple anymore.  The real truth to this crazy madness is they are foolish fools without any rules and they act like mules.  These fools cannot appreciate what privileged life they live and cannot understand how easy they have it.  I continue towards the stairs which lead to the bedrooms.  Oh how I move so slow, the anticipation is building, Building, and BUILDING.  My heart beats faster, Faster, and FASTER as I get closer and closer.  I creep and linger about as reach the top step and without hesitation a reach the first door. 
It is told in ancient lore that a poor man killed a family out of nothing more than greed.  It is said he envied their wealth so much that he killed each and every one of them to ensure he would leave no heir to the fortune.  In the end however he went completely insane because the memory of the family haunted him for the rest of his life.  I am here to say that I am going to defy this myth with my own creative gift for this family and an abrupt end to this rift. 
Creeeeek, creeeeek the door slightly opens and I gaze my eyes with in.  The pitch black allows for no visibility, but I know where he is.  I am an attentive student who tries to be as porous as possible.  I learned very well from my master and he is very proud of me and I too now am I master.  I am the master of fear and I hear the shrill cries of pain and suffering.  I feel the shrieks and yieks of the chosen victims roll down my spine, but I am fine with this for my goal and I feel no remorse for taking your soul. 
 I step into the room peering directly at his pale face.  He is in the middle of a peaceful sleep dreaming of good things and not worried about anything else in the day to come.  I try to imagine what a man like this would dream about.  And in trying to do so I blank, I think of nothing else but the task at hand.  I wonder how shall I kill this beast and should I at least let him feast before his last breathe?  I think I might just end it quick with a swift flick of the wrist and a small blade. 
I take one step to do this deed, when pounding and pounding, my heart almost leaps out of my chest, he turns over in his sleep.  To my relief he is not awoken and now I move in.  I quickly slit his throat and made sure his words would not be heard.  The now lifeless man lay looking at complete peace.  I tip toe even slower now to the next door, almost at a crawling pace.  I am hoping that the silence of night has kept my presence hidden beneath its dark depths. I feel a pounding, oh how sudden it was, ah but swift it was.  The pounding was from the other side of this heavy door.  I press my ear against this door to know what bangs this heavy door.  
Tap tap, tap tap the pounding has been lower, but I still am curious about who bangs this heavy door.  Is it ancient lore that bangs this heavy door?  I open the door to know for sure who bangs this heavy door.  The room is empty with a single chair sitting in the middle of floor, but before there was a whole set of chairs and cabinets.  My mind cannot comprehend such a mystery.  No one is here, no one in sight.  I turn around and look upon a dark hallway. The hallway seems to have stretched quite a bit, although my vision has waned as the night has passed.  To my surprise and shock, the shape of a little girl is visible at the end of the hall.  I trudge closer, but almost in complete fear.  Me afraid of a young little girl, please.  I continue on to see who she is.  Once I am within a good distance where I can make out her face, she is gone.  I wonder, I wonder, I this really a little girl.  Tap tap, tap tap the door begins to pound.  Now the pounding of such a heavy door has struck up again.  I must implore what the cause of this pounding is against such a heavy door.  Again I open the door, but this time the chair is rocking itself.  I glance back into the hall to see the little girl at the end of the hall.  Now my mind is racing and thinking; what could she be a ghost or just a silly little girl playing a trick?  And once more I linger down the hall to see this little girl.  But I can’t seem to move faster than a crawl.  Her presence is stifling me and making me uneasy.  Each step DECREASES and Decreases and decrease my confidence.  I don’t think I want to know who this little girl is anymore.  I turn and sprint with all my strength down the stairs and out the door for some strange reason.  As I stare up at the window of the empty room I see the silhouette of the little girl.  This is no ghost, but a little pest.  I walk back into the house and up the stairs.  I open the heavy door to see the girl sitting and rocking back and forth in this chair.  I tell this little girl that I am going to kill her for all the trouble she has caused me.  She looks at me and smiles.  I take one step with knife in hand and am about to strike when….I wake up.  Where I am?  What is this place?  It is dark and the cool breeze enters through the window.  I hear a tip tap, tip tap on my door.  Before I can get up to open the door I fall back into a dazed sleep.  I feel a sharp pain, but after I am comforted and drift away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment